Posted by Alfonse Muglia on September 27, 2011
On this rainy day in Ithaca, here’s a story that’s bound to warm the hearts of the Lynah faithful.
USA Today published its annual preseason NCAA Men’s Hockey rankings yesterday, with Cornell falling into the 19th spot. See the complete rankings here. The University of Miami garnered the top spot, followed by Notre Dame and North Dakota. Yale was the only Ivy League team to crack the top 15.
In the lady’s rankings, published today, Cornell earned the preseason ranking of #2 after finishing the 2010-2011 season with an astonishing record of 31-3-1. Defending-champion Wisconsin was the clear favorite, earning all 19 of the first place votes from the USA Today writers.
Hockey season is just around the corner. Can you feel the excitement?
Posted in Campus Insiders | Tagged: Big Red, Cornell Hockey | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on March 20, 2011
While the Cornell Review writers were busy getting home to start their spring breaks, Cornell wrestling and men’s ice hockey completed their post-season campaigns.
The Big Red wrestlers were outpointed by Penn State on Saturday as the Nittany Lions won their first NCAA wrestling championship in 58 years. Despite the team loss, Cornell’s Kyle Dake won his second national title at the 149 lb. weight class.
The men’s hockey team started the weekend with a dominating 3-0 semifinal performance against a good Dartmouth team. The ECAC final against Yale was sure to be a difficult task for Cornell, but not an impossible one. Unfortunately Yale’s offense did not fail to live up to the hype, completing their historic year with a 6-0 blitzing of the Big Red.
Yale advanced to the NCAA tournament bracket as the top seed (with “unfinished business”) while Cornell did not earn a postseason berth. While this year’s successes certainly did not match those of the previous two years, I’d say a 16-15-3 record and an ECAC final appearance are good results for a young and rebuilding team.
Posted in Campus Insiders | Tagged: Cornell Hockey, Cornell Wrestling | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on March 3, 2011
Cornell Big Red alumnus Colin Greening ’10 just put his first biscuit in the basket in Ottawa’s game vs. Atlanta tonight. Check out the video replay here.
Cornell hockey plays next weekend after earning a first round bye to the ECAC quarterfinals.
Posted in Campus Insiders | Tagged: Colin Greening, Cornell Hockey | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on February 20, 2011
Last year’s standout senior goalie Ben Scrivens backed up Toronto starter James Reimer on Saturday night against Ottawa. Scrivens’ quick ascent up the Toronto depth chart- helped along the way by an injury to J-S Giguere and poor play by Jonas Gustavsson- makes him the second Big Red alumnus to get a call up this year. Given the tremendous odds he has already overcome to get to the Toronto bench, don’t count him out in terms of making an NHL start this season.
Correction: Scrivens would be the third Big Red alumnus called up this year- Brendon Nash made his debut with Montreal last week. Thanks to MA for the catch.
Posted in Campus Insiders, Miscellaneous | Tagged: Cornell Hockey | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on February 2, 2011
No, not the Mark Kirk ’81 kind. Earlier today MetaEzra first picked up on Colin Greening’s recent call up to the Ottawa Senators. Greening has spent the beginning of the season playing for the minor league Binghamton Senator of the AHL. From Ottawa’s website:
It wasn’t exactly what the Cornell University grad had in mind when he and his girlfriend, Tissy, arrived in Chicago to spend the AHL all-star break. They’d barely landed in the Windy City when Greening got the call to head to Ottawa.
“She was saying to me ‘where do you want to go to eat in Chicago first?’ and then I’m getting this call,” said Greening in recalling the frenzied events of Sunday afternoon. “So I had to tell her ‘I don’t think I going to be able to do that anymore.’ It was just a lot of surprise. She was happy for me, but it was kind of a whirlwind. I had to get back here and get all my gear and things like that. It was an exciting time, to say the least.”
Greening had 8 minutes of ice during the game- not bad at all for a rookie call-up in his first NHL start. This appearance makes Greening the first 2010 Cornell Hockey senior to get a big league start. While it’s not clear how long he will stay with Ottawa- he’s not on the roster for tonight’s shootout against Detroit- the call up is already a significant accomplishment. Who’s next? Nash or Nash?
Posted in Campus Insiders, Miscellaneous | Tagged: AHL, Cornell Hockey, NHL | 1 Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on January 15, 2011
Cornell’s 5-1 win against Rensselaer last night started on an alarming note when senior forward Dan Nicholls suffered a seizure before warmups. From The Ithaca Journal:
Cornell senior winger Dan Nicholls had a seizure in the locker room before warmups Friday and was sent to Cayuga Medical Center for observation.
After returning during the game, Nicholls suffered a second seizure and was immediately sent back to the hospital.
“It was right in the locker room as the guys were getting ready for the game,” Cornell coach Mike Schafer said of the first seizure. “Our guys were rattled. Dan is a great teammate and a great friend to everybody on our team. … He’s in good care and in good hands tonight.”
The game started 8 minutes late after Cornell coach Schafer requested a delayed start to give his players time to gather their composure.
Cornell will look to continue its ECAC winning streak tonight against Union.
Posted in Campus Insiders | Tagged: Cornell Hockey | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on December 12, 2010
- “Operation Ivy League” busts drug ring at Columbia University.
- Cornell Review alum Jamie Weinstein- Deputy Editor of The Daily Caller- interviews the new WaPo conservative blogger.
- Ithaca car thieves finally busted after stealing more than $10,000 worth of valuables over the past two months.
- Cornell Professor Eswar Prasad publishes new book on emerging markets.
- Yale ranked #1 in ice hockey. Cornell was the last Ivy to be ranked #1 back in 2003.
- Cornell goalie Andy Iles tapped for US Junior Team.
- Cornell athletes receive All-Ivy Academic honors.
- MetaEzra weighs in on the Africana move.
- Cornell CS researchers investigate the relationship between locations of online photos and friendships on social networking sites.
- Cornell Professor Brian Wansink weighs in on why pizza is surviving the recession.
- Professors from Cornell, MIT, and UCL create a map of Britain based on phone call data.
- MetaEzra and Ithacating on Bob Saget.
Posted in Campus Insiders, National News | Tagged: Bob Saget, Cornell Africana, Cornell Athletics, Cornell Hockey, Ithaca | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on November 21, 2010
- How to make your own Four Lokos. (HT to JPMITB).
- Via MetaEzra, the NY Times profile of No. 1 ranked Cornell wrestling.
- Football loses to Penn in the season finale.
- No. 1 Wrestling wins, hockey drops two more, and basketball splits two games.
- Ben Scrivens gets his first AHL win.
- Professor Kintner passes away at 64.
- More details on the death of Cornell grad student Ryan Crowder.
- Cornell Professor’s precognition paper.
- Robert Frank on soaring executive pay.
- More on the Dream Act.
- Ithaca SWAT jumps into action on Aurora Street.
Posted in Campus Insiders, National News | Tagged: Cornell Basketball, Cornell Football, Cornell Hockey, Cornell Wrestling, Four Loko, Ithaca, Precognition, Robert Frank | 1 Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on November 7, 2010
- Drug and alcohol violations on the rise at Tompkins County campuses.
- WashPo has more on the Cornell coffee robot arm.
- Cornell funding may fall after the midterm elections.
- Hide your money, lock your restaurant, ‘cuz they robbin’ everybody out here.
- Don’t eat at these restaurants.
- Cornell “tags along” with Obama to India.
- Football continues to lose, hockey picks up its first win (!).
- Rundown of Cornellians in the midterm elections.
- The Justice Department may be looking into the college football Bowl Championship Series.
- What Americans think about the Tea Party.
Posted in Campus Insiders, National News | Tagged: BCS, Cornell Football, Cornell Hockey, Ithaca, Obama, Tompkins County | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Cornell Insider Staff on October 24, 2010
- Cornellians say Twitter can be used to predict the stock market.
- Nagowski’s 2004 interview with Mark Zuckerberg.
- This is why Libe was closed on Wednesday afternoon.
- Ithaca budget discussions.
- Blackboard moves to produce its own online remedial courses.
- 17 million college graduates work in jobs that don’t require college degrees.
- Cornell researchers say shopping with cash leads to better purchases.
- A quick look at future hockey prospects from BRP.
- Humans fight back against bed bugs.
- Hockey wins its first exhibition game, then trounces the USA U18 team 6-0.
Posted in Campus Insiders, National News | Tagged: Cornell Hockey, Ithaca, Twitter | Leave a Comment »